Lawrence County Heritage
The Journal of the Lawrence County
(Tennessee) Genealogical Society
Vol. 10 No. 2 Winter 2006
Table of Contents
compiled by Susan Beeler Anderson
from Fall 2006) by Kathy Niedergeses.
History of Lawrence County Schools: 1817-1996- Part VI
Briar Hill School, Cherry Hill School, Chief School/Chief Creek School, Crockett School (Old), Crockett School (New), Free School, Freedom School, Freemon (Mary)/Sugar Creek School, Green Springs School, Hamburg School, Jones’ Chapel/Nubbing Ridge School, Jonestown School, Kelton School, Lawrenceburg Military Academy, Liberty School, Liberty Grove School, Oak Hill School, Peppertown School, Pleasant Ridge School, Quercus School, Richardson’s Chapel School, Riddle Hill School, Selph Chapel School.
About Our Front Cover: Swift & Companyby Jim Crowder.
History of the Swift & Company cheese factory that began operation in Lawrenceburg in 1929 including statistics relating to milk production in Lawrence County.
Casket Records – Part II – Conclusion(continued from Fall 2006) transcribed by Donna Niedergeses Davis & Kathy Niedergeses.
Information extracted from the "Records of Caskets" sold by A. A. Patterson owner of a general mercantile store in Henryville. Records from 1914 through 1934. Tables include names of deceased, race, place of death, date of death, purchaser’s name and P.O. address.
The Heritage of Lawrence County, Tennessee
The Lawrence County Heritage Book Committee will soon announce the upcoming book publishing project that will feature the history of the community and citizens.
Mystery Picture Identifiedby Jim Crowder.
A researcher has identified a group picture that appeared in the Spring 2004 (Vol. 7 No. 3) issue of the journal. Individual’s from the Crabb family are identified.
Mystery Families and Photographs
Four photos from the Spence collection donated by Druscilla Beuerlein are shown. Taken in Nashville, Lawrenceburg, Columbia and St. Joseph.
Lawrence County Court Clerk Wills, January 1829 to October 1847(continued from Fall 2006) abstracted by Wallace Palmore.
Haynes, Robert, estate inventory and administratrix settlement.
Mathews, William W., guardian report.
Brashers, Jesse, widow’s year provision.
Blythe, Jacob Jr., administrator report.
Campbell, Alexander, last will and testament.
Choat, Thomas, guardian settlement.
Wasson, James H., guardian settlement.
Thornton, Thomas N., estate inventory and sale bill.
Alford, William M., estate inventory.
Tucker, Enoch, estate inventory.
Campbell, Alexander, estate inventory.
The Book Nook reviews by Lila Gobbell.
History of Elgin Crossroads and Nearbys, Beverly Hurn Henderson 2003.
Tennessee Iron Furnace Trail – A guide to resources on the Western Highland Rim, 2006. Michael T. Gavin, principal researcher and author.
Descendants of Henry McGee, Sr. and Ottertail – Henry McGee, Jr. and Related Kilburn Families of Cherokee Nation, SC and GA to Lawrence and Wayne Co., TN, by Mary Nell Hollis Franks and Shirley A. Hollis, 2006.
Tenants and Intruders on Double Head’s Reserve 1807 – 1810compiled by Kathy Niedergeses.
Background information concerning tenants and intruders on Indian land. Lists of lease holders on Doublehead’s Reserve, people residing on Muscle Shoals, intruders on Shoal Creek, tenants under Doublehead’s claim at Muscle Schoals, intruders removed in 1809, and list of white settlers in Lauderdale County, Alabama about 1810.
The Jennings Family By Way of Denmark, England, VA, NC, GA, AL and Tennesseeby Kathy Sudduth Niedergeses.
The author traces her Jennings ancestors beginning with William C. Jennings of Cobb County, GA. Includes his children: John P., Rachel E., Mary Jane, Willie Ann, Margaret Amanda and Martha.
last updated April 14, 2008 Return to Main Page