Lawrence County Heritage

The Journal of the Lawrence County

(Tennessee) Genealogical Society

Vol. 14 No. 3 Spring 2011

Table of Contents


The Book Nook reviews by Lila Gobbell

The following books are reviewed and are available at the Lawrence Co. Archives:

Our Belew Line, Renny Belue – Family Patriarch by Paul Belew

The Robert Crowder Family by Josephine Willis Pickard

The Augustin and Neidert Families of Loretto, Tennessee by Carl Stumpe, c2009.

Minutes to Lawrence County Genealogical Society Board Meeting, Saturday, December 4, 2010 by Doyce Shaddix

The minutes and Treasurer’s report were accepted as read. New business included information regarding an article to be published in the newspapers about the sale of the last 85 copies of the Heritage of Lawrence County, Tennessee. Kathy Niedergeses gave a report on the publication of a book about David Crockett written by Gert Peterson of Copenhagen, Denmark. A motion was approved to print 200 copies to be sold for $15 per copy.

Minutes to Lawrence County Genealogical Society Meeting, Saturday, December 4, 2010 by Doyce Shaddix

The meeting was called to order by President Wallace Palmore. The minutes and financial report were approved. Meeting was adjourned after the approval of giving a monetary gift to Kathy and Jim Crowder. The speaker of the day was Bobby Pace Alford who gave the history and genealogy of his maternal ancestors the Pace Family.

Now Hear This by Jim Crowder, Editor

Thank you for the articles that have recently been submitted for publication in the Journal. You are encouraged to be involved with the Society and look forward to your attendance at the quarterly meetings.

Lawrence County, Tennessee 1890 Tax List – Part II – Conclusion, Sixth Civil District (continued from Winter 2010) by Wallace Palmore

The following surnames represent the entries transcribed from the 1890 Tax List. Each entry includes the name of the taxpayer, number of acres, land value, total property value, poll, state, county, school, RR tax and highway tax. Surnames: Kilburn, Kelley, Kennedy, Luna, Lee, Love, Garrett, Lopp, Ludwig, Lindsey, Moler, Moore, McGee, McLean, Messmer, Melton, Mason, Mabry, Martin, McCoy, North, Neal, Polk, Parker, Hughes, Pennington, Rochell, Robertson, Rogers, Roberson, Reynolds, Scott, Slagle, Spann, Shelton, Shaffer, Simms, Shelby, Sykes, Smith, Spears, Shook, Spencer, Tice, True, Tracy, Todd, Tidwell, Trimmer, Williams, Wall, Wisdom, Watson, Warren, Wallis, Whethoren, Ewing, Childress, Woodson, Clayton. (This concludes the Sixth Civil District of Lawrence County, TN 1890 Tax list. The series continues with the Seventh Civil District to be published in the Summer 2011 issue of the Journal.)

Mystery Families and Photographs

Three photos need identification: 1) a group of men in baseball uniforms; photo taken by Mr. Gunn of Lawrenceburg; 2) a family portrait that includes seven children; and 3) portrait of a woman wearing a hat; photo taken by Emminger and Wendland of Cincinnati, OH. Please contact the Archives.

Rawdon-Spears SCV Camp #2113 Civil War/ Historical Tour, May 14, 2011.

This event is a tour from 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. and starts in Summertown, Tennessee with six stops. Encampment onsite at Sugar Creek. Contact SCV Camp #2113 at 931-964-4133.

On the Limits of Liberty – Part III – Conclusion, Edward Lindsey & The Man by Gale Morgan Kane

The conclusion of a three-part story about Edward Lindsey, an early Lawrence County settler.

Lawrence County Birth Records 1908 -1912 – Part X (continued from Winter 2010) Transcribed by Donna Niedergeses Davis, 2004

The birth records were transcribed from the original book of births and deaths in Lawrence County, Tennessee. Information includes names, birthdates, sex, color, where born, father’s name, where father born, occupation, mother’s name, where mother born, physician’s name, date of ??, and page number in book. The following are the surnames of those listed with the additional information: Clayton, Blessing, Pugh, Gilmore, Reigle, McLean, Nixon, Crowder, Carrell, Gibbs, Bailey, Buchanan, Belew, Henn, Hughes, Davidson, Feldhouse, Crosthwaite, Abernathy, Beuerlein, Kraus, Dustin, McDougle, Laurence, Murrell, Morris, Scott, Garrett, Self, Beckham, Niedergeses, Sutton, McCrory, Bethel, Melton, Smith, Neal, Lumpkins, Steal, Coruthers, Lewis, Rohling, Gunselman, McClanahan, Brink, Gabrell, Holt, Williams, Brewer, Becket, Collier, Rhodes, Olive, Judkins, Bentley, Hardy, Warner, Raney, Hill, Inman, Falkner, Henson, Dockery, Risner, Hall, Risner, Kemp, Hedgepath, Carvell, Martin, Davis, Johnson, Felker. (To be continued in the Summer 2011 issue of the Journal)

The Grand Jury, July Term 1896 compiled by Kathy Niedergeses

The following names are listed with their birth place, age, religion, politics and occupation: G.W. Welch, A.C. Burton, J.A. LeFan, W.E. Coil, D.B. Crews, S.L. Span, J.S. Burns, J.W. Hughes, W.L. Walker, T.J. Hicks, W.S. Lumpkins, John O. Shay, F. Kobeck, J.L. Henrix.

Births from the Lawrence Union Newspaper

Excerpts from the newspaper include the following names: 1) Mrs. Caperton gave birth to triplets (newspaper dated Sept. 12, 1895); 2) Emory Oliver and wife had twins (newspaper dated Jan 2, 1896); 3) J.C. Lutts –father of two boys named McKinley and Hobart (newspaper dated Jan. 21, 1897).

McCracken and Allied Family Burials in the Knob Creek-Mt. Zion Cemetery, Lawrence Co., Tennessee – Part I by Maryanne A. McCracken Highley

The Knob Creek-Mt. Zion Cemetery was established in the 1800’s. It is located near West Point, Tennessee. The author reports on her family members who were buried there. There is biographical information concerning these individuals: James Elbert McCracken, Emily Jane Kelly McCracken, Ora E. McCracken, Thomas Blount McCracken, Ella Elizabeth Wright McCracken, Jennie Hughes Hunt McCracken, Maggie L. Perren McCracken, Jewel McCracken, Mae Opal McCracken. (To be continued in the Summer 2011 issue of the Journal)

Migrations To and From Lawrence County, TN During the 1870s through Early 1900s – Part II (continued from Winter 2010) Researched and Compiled by Kathy Niedergeses

Names of individuals who moved to or from Lawrence County were extracted from various newspapers during the 1880s, 1890s and early 1900s. Contact the Archives for copies of the actual newspaper from microfilm. Robert Long, Rev. A.M. Gillespie, Sam Orr, W. Cross, W.C. Davis, Major Frank Matthews and daughters Mamie and Carrie, J.E. Wall son of Allen Wall, Mrs. & Mrs. Salisbury, Robert Akers, W.B. Franks, J.C. Stewart, Luther Freemon, J.A. Fitzgerald, Jennie Stewart, Joe B. Oehman, James K. Garner, O.H. Olson, Brooks Wasson, George Mester, Mary Kraus, Belzora Beeler, Eula McAdams, Mrs. R.B. Heyer, Mrs. Chas. Shaw, J.B. Rippey, J.A. Nixon, Orla ? Colbert, W.A. Gobbell, T.G. Reischman, Polk Comer, W.T. Patterson, R.S. Kerr, Mrs. W.J. Muse, Mrs. C.M. Womack, Ella Thompson, Mary Welch, N. Welch, Joe Black, Judge Lee Frazier, Mrs. W.B. Shacklett, G.S. Schwartz, E.A. Rippey, J.B. Rippey, Rev. W.M.B. Rippey, E.C. McNeal, L. Frazier, Floyd A. Shepard, B.P. Coury, Mrs. J.A. Derrick, J.M. Baxter, W.H. Carter, Mellie Wallace, Mrs. J.F. Busby, Beulah Dwiggins, Mrs. Wheeler, O.F. Cocke, D.V. Mitchell, R.O. Patterson, John Burns and daughter Flora, Mrs. W.B. Hale, John Harlin, Tom Phillips, W.M. Calloway, Louis Henning, Ana Schlater. (To be continued in the Summer 2011 issue of the Journal)

The County Poor Farm – Part XVI compiled by Kathy & Lawrence Niedergeses

This material covers the time period of Feb. 1916 through Apr. 1930. For a full explanation of the poor house history see Vol. 7 No. 1, Fall 2003. Help is needed to search through minute books and newspapers for 1900 forward. Please contact the Archives if you can assist in this project. The following names are found in various sources used: M.K. Alexander, J.W. Garrett, J.W. Stewart, J.P. Kidd, Sr, M.S. McDougal, Whit E. Smith, Valeria Smith, Lura Smith, Buford Smith, Addie Estlle Smith, Charlotte Smith, Lelborn Smith, Francis Smith, Lillie Barkley, Blanche Barkley, Theodocia Tice, Shep Basham, Arthur Nickelson, Ervom Whitman, Minor Branch, Judy Whitman, Alexander, Jr., Ellen May, Sarah Pick, Lucy Branch, Creece Robinson, Nora Printice, Lula Printice, John Johnson, Jim Rigsby, Winnie Rigsby, Edgar Rigsby, Essa Rigsby, Millie Rigsby, Etel Rigsby, Clarence Rigsby, Revs. W.W. Pullen, I.C. Smith, H.C. Coleman, Mr. & Mrs. Gaither, Jessie L. Smith, Velera Smith, Estelle Smith, John B. Beeler, Robert Luttrell, Rose Luttrell, Ola E. Luttrell, Bettye Berlison, John Baugus, Lillie Baugus, Willie P. Baugus, John H. Baugus, Annie L. Baugus, Annie Brumly, Bessie Kimmins, Hattie Kimmins, Marie Kimmins, Sarah Lucus, Millie Cabert, Eunice Staggs, Jane Moore, Fannie Thorton, Myrtle Lemay, Sarah Pack, Sallie Pack, Sallie Childrey, Manlinda Ables, Annie Ables, Samuel Meek, Jane Meek, John F. Washburn, Marshell W./N.Overton, James R. Curtis, James Roberson, Minor Branch, Edward Wolfe, Sim Crews, Wess Smith, Hershel Nason, Frank Gaither, Hayes Simpson, Joseph Staggs, Fannie Staggs, Joseph Grimes, Sallie Grimes. (To be continued in the Summer 2011 issue of the Journal)

About Our Front Cover, The House of Dr. W. H. Neal researched and compiled by Kathy and Lawrence Niedergeses

This is a detailed history of the house located at 235 Pulaski St. in Lawrenceburg. Deed records follow the change of ownership starting with the original plat laid out by the first Commissioners of Lawrenceburg to 2011. Details about the interior and exterior structure are offered including amenities added to the original house.

Tripp Cemetery by Kathy Niedergeses & Doyce Shaddix

This old abandoned cemetery is located about 2 ˝ miles northeast of Lawrenceburg on Gimlet Road in the pasture of the Niedergeses farm. Directions are given for finding this cemetery. Most stones are either nonexistent or broken and unreadable. The following names were compiled from sources that predate the latest survey (2008): Peter Counts, James D.T. Harlan, Claudy Ann Wilkerson, Mary E.D. (?) Harlan, George Tripp, Elizabeth M. White Tripp.

Contributed by Susan Beeler Anderson

Last Updated July 15, 2012                                Return to Lawrence Co. Genealogical Society